It is in the Carlos Alberto Plaza and currently hosts the Numismatic Cabinet of Oporto, which shows one of the most important and complete collections in the country. The Balsemão Viscounts Palace is a remarkable eighteenth-century noble, building ordered to be built by the noble family Alvo Brandão Perestrello Godinho, the Balsemão Viscounts heirs.
In the 1840s, António Bernardino Peixe rented the mansion, transferring the inn that was in Bomjardim Street for this palace. At that time, this hostel became famous due to the stay, between 19 and 27 April 1849, of the exiled King of Sardinia and Piedmont, Carlos Alberto of Savoy, as he waited for the preparation of the Quinta da Macieirinha house, where he died on 28 July of the same year .
In 1854, the building was purchased by 1º Trindade Viscount, Antonio José de Sousa Basto, great owner and capitalist, who introduced major changes in the building. The house achieved then the great splendor that is still known nowadays. It keeps ceilings decorated with stucco, painting and caissons, sliding doors with colored glass, medals and plaques commemorating illustrious visitors.
Owned by the Municipality of Oporto, since 1959, has a temporary exhibition hall, meeting rooms and an auditorium.