The San Lourenço dos Grilos Church is a church, a school, a convent and a seminary. Its name is due to the fact that the church has belonged to the Order of Friars Grilos (Crickets) of Saint Agostinho. The Jesuits built this church in 1577 without the approval of the city council and the townspeople, and with donations from the faithful and Fray Luis Álvaro de Távora, later buried there.
At that time, nobles and gentry were not allowed to stay within the city for more than three days. However, this new building would attract the sons of noblemen and gentlemen, who would be living permanently in, which was totally against the city rules.
After its inauguration, some of the disciples of St. Ignatius of Loyola managed to open the school with free classes, which made many people change their mind and, eventually, support it.
In 1780, the Discalced Friars of St. Augustine bought it to the University, where they settled until 1832. These friars assigned to the church the name by which it is known today - Church of Crickets - as in Lisbon they were called "monks-crickets". They were forced to leave the building during the siege of Oporto, having been inhabited by the liberal troops of D. Pedo. In 1834, the Major Seminary occupied the church and college, up to today