In Oporto, there are plenty of places where you can watch a good play or a concert. One of these sites, the Sá da Bandeira Theater, is right in the historic center.
It is one of the most popular theaters in the city, on Sá da Bandeira street, reason why the theater inherit the name. It was inaugurated on August 4, 1855, with the name of the Royal Prince Circus-Theatre. During that time it was considered the best theater in the city, along with the São João. Several big-name artists stepped his stage. At the end of the nineteenth century, the international Animatógrafo made there its first presentation. Many of the early Portuguese films were shown there.
After the establishment of the Republic, the theater took the name it has today. In its management stood out Arnaldo Moreira da Rocha Brito, who led the theater for 60 years.
It will have been the first theater in the city to use electric light. In its structure, are three stores, the main room and two cinemas (now inactive). Nowadays still receives artists from across the country and is used for alternative concerts. It's a great space to meet, since it is one of the major references of Oporto.