In Oporto is one of the most beautiful bookstores in the world: Lello e Irmãos, or simply the Livraria Lello (Lello Bookshop).
It was inaugurated in 1906, with the presence of the poet Guerra Junqueiro, the journalist and writer João Grave, the philologist and archaeologist José Leite de Vasconcelos, the statesman Afonso Costa, among other famous figures of the time.
The Livraria Lello was restored in 1995, modernized its computer systems and created a new art gallery and gatherings salon.
Designed according to project of the engineer Xavier Esteves, is one of the most emblematic buildings of the Gothic Revival in Oporto, emphasizing strongly the surrounding cityscape.
The facade features a large segmental arch with central entrance and two side windows. Above, three rectangular windows are flanked by two figures painted by José Bielman, representing the "Art" and the"Science.
The decor is complemented by plant motifs, geometrical shapes and the designation "Lello e Irmão", under the windows.
Inside, the broken arches are based on the pillars where the sculptor Romão Júnior sculpted busts of the writers Antero de Quental, Eça de Queiroz, Camilo Castelo Branco, Teófilo Braga, Tomás Ribeiro and Guerra Junqueiro.
The worked ceilings, the large stained glass window bearing the monogram and the motto of the bookstore "Decus in Labore" and oversized staircase that gives access to the first floor are the most significant brands of this bookstore.