The António Carneiro´s Workshop House was built by the painter in 1923 to install his studio. Significant figure of the Portuguese art in the symbolist and modernist contexts, lived there with their sons Carlos Carneiro, painter, and Claudio Carneyro, composer.
In the House you can enjoy watching the painting materials, documents, books, photographs and objects that belonged to them, as well as an interesting collection of works in oil, watercolor and drawing. Following successive acquisition of plots of land and building to the family of the painter, the Oporto City Council opened it to the public in 1973. Since the opening until today, it is the only museum in the eastern city.
António Carneiro (1872-1930) was a Portuguese painter, professor at the School of Fine Arts of Oporto, artistic director of Águia magazine, connected to the Portuguese Renaissance movement. He was Soares dos Reis and Marques de Oliveira´s disciple in the Oporto Academy of Fine Arts. Lived three years in Paris, where he attended the Julien Academy and participated in the Universal Exhibition of 1900 as a decorator. He exhibited regularly in Portugal and internationally. He was an artist with great sensitivity, seeking emotions, dedicated, above all, to the portrait painting, translating them the psychological state of the model. For this reason, many call him the "soul portraitist."
Opens fridays, 10h to 12h30 and 14h to 17h30. Opens saturdays, with previous scheduled appointment.